Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
druthers (usually plural)
- (US, informal, often jocular) Wishes, preferences, or ways.
- If I had my druthers I’d eat in a restaurant every night of the week.
- 1950, Alice Walworth Graham, The Natchez woman:
- "If you had your druthers—" Old Lew was always saying, "If I had my druthers, gimme one of them there Shevrolics."
- 1957, Society of Arts and Crafts, Theatre Arts, Volume 41, page 29:
- "If I had my druthers," he informs us, "I'druther be myself — not because I'm anythin' special, just because it's convenient."
- 1977, Carole Mayhall, From the Heart of a Woman:
- If I'd had my "druthers," our engagement would not have been two and one half years long. But schooling made our druthers invalid.
 Usage notes
- The singular form "druther" is used with the same meaning, but much more rarely.
- The noun "druthers" is sometimes used in conjunction with the verb "druther" for increased comic effect.
- If I've got my druthers, I'd druther not.
- or, alternatively,
- If I've got my druthers, I druther not.
- This double formation was popularized by the American cartoonist Al Capp (1909-1979) in the long-running Li'l Abner comic strip and was also featured in the song "If I Had my Druthers" in Li'l Abner: The Musical (1956).