Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete) Harsh treatment.
- The agreements […] made with the landlords during the time of slavery, are only the effect of duress and force.
- Constraint by threat.
- (law) The state of compulsion or necessity in which a person is influenced, whether by the unlawful restraint of his liberty or by actual or threatened physical violence, to incur a civil liability or to commit an offence.
constraint by threat
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- To put under duress; to pressure.
- Someone was duressing her.
- The small nation was duressed into giving up territory.