Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: effacé
- Rhymes: -eɪs
- (transitive) To erase (as anything impressed or inscribed upon a surface); to render illegible or indiscernible.
- Do not efface what I've written on the chalkboard.
- (transitive) To cause to disappear as if by rubbing out or striking out.
- Some people like to efface their own memories with alcohol.
- (reflexive) To make oneself inobtrusive as if due to modesty or diffidence.
- Many people seem shy, but they really just efface for meekness.
- (medicine) Of the cervix during pregnancy, to thin and stretch in preparation for labor.
- Some females efface 75% by the 39th week of pregnancy.
cause to disappear as if by rubbing out
efface f (plural effaces)
- (Quebec) eraser