Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of, or pertaining to voting or elections
- That involves a choice between options; optional or discretionary
- My insurance wouldn't pay for the operation because it was elective surgery.
- The independent use of their elective franchise.
- Kings of Rome were at first elective […]
of or pertaining to voting or elections
optional or discretionary
Related terms 
elective (plural electives)
- Something that is option or that may be elected, especially a course of tertiary study.