Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
emergency (plural emergencies)
- A situation which poses an immediate threat to human life or health and requires urgent assistance.
- Cardiac arrest is an emergency and if you find someone in cardiac arrest you should call 999 immediately.
- (Canada, US, often attributive) The department of a hospital that treats emergencies.
- (archaic) The quality of being emergent; sudden or unexpected appearance; an unforeseen occurrence.
situation requiring urgent assistance
- emergency department
- emergency entrance
- emergency room
- emergency ward
- emergency medical services
- state of emergency
- emergency response
- Emergency Medical Technician
- The Emergency