Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɛlf
- Hyphenation: em‧self
emself a reflexive, third person gender-neutral singular personal pronoun
- (neologism, reflexive) em, themself; Gender-neutral object of a verb or preposition that also appears as the subject, the reflexive form of em.
- 1975 August 23, Black, Judie, “Ey has a word for it”, Chicago Tribune, page 12:
- 2003, Elizabeth Hess, Yib's Guide to MOOing: Getting the Most from Virtual Communities on the Internet, Trafford Publishing, ISBN 9781412002905, OL 11711229M, page 233:
- In this particular instance, a wizard eventually took it upon emself to @toad Mr_Bungle...
- 2004 March 31, Sue Thomas, Hello World : travels in virtuality, Raw Nerve Books, ISBN 9780953658565, OL 4487793W, page 78:
- The adult worries much less; is cautious, sensible and knows how to protect emself and eir system from attack and error.
- 2007, Morgan O'Friel, Larkenia's Flaws: Volume 1, Grand Rapids: TheSpindle, ISBN 9780615147536, page 136:
- (neologism, emphatic) em, themself; an intensive repetition of a gender-neutral subject, often used to indicate exclusiveness of that person as the only satisfier of a predicate.