Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
equalizer (plural equalizers)
- One who makes equal; a balancer.
- (sports) A goal, run, point, etc. that equalizes the score.
2011 October 1, Phil Dawkes, “Sunderland 2 - 2 West Brom”, BBC Sport:
- [Bendtner was central to it at all, firstly firing home, via a deflection off Gareth McAuley, after being teed up by Sebastien Larsson's neat backheel, and then a minute later crossing for Elmohamady to head in an equaliser.
2011 May 16, Mike Driscoll, “Pirates plunder top spot with late attack”, Illawarra Mercury, page 36:
- Mariners scored a run in the seventh inning and the equaliser in the top of the ninth, after Braves’ starting pitcher Ashley Crump had dominated—throwing six scoreless innings for just two hits.
- A electronic audio device for altering the frequencies of sound recordings.
- (sports): game-tying goal
a goal that equalizes the score