Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Latin exercitium
- Rhymes: -aɪz
- (UK) IPA: /ˈɛk.sə.saɪz/, X-SAMPA: /"Ek.s@.saIz/
- (US) IPA: /ˈɛk.sɚ.saɪz/, X-SAMPA: /"Ek.email@example.comIz/
Audio (US) (file)
exercise (plural exercises)
- Any activity designed to develop or hone a skill or ability.
- The teacher told us the next exercise is to write an essay.
- Physical activity intended to improve strength and fitness.
Alternative forms 
Derived terms 
any activity designed to develop or hone a skill or ability
physical activity intended to improve strength and fitness
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- To set into action or practice.
- He was going to exercise the horses.
- To perform any activity designed to develop or hone a skill or ability.
- To take action, enforce.
- The tenant exercised its option to renew the tenancy.
- She is going to exercise her right to vote.
to set into action
to perform activities to develop skills
to take action, enforce