Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Characteristic of or influenced by a current popular trend or style.
- a fashionable dress; a fashionable man
- Established or favoured by custom or use; current; prevailing at a particular time.
- the fashionable philosophy; fashionable opinions
- (archaic) genteel; well-bred
- fashionable society
- Time is like a fashionable host / That slightly shakes his parting guest by the hand.
characteristic of or influenced by a current popular trend or style
fashionable (plural fashionables)
- A fashionable person; a fop
1860, Various, Atlantic Monthly, Vol. VI.,October, 1860.--No. XXXVI.:
- We speculated upon the astonishment that would have seized upon their simple, innocent hearts, had they beheld, instead of us, a bevy of our city fashionables in full bloom.
1891, Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), “At the Shrine of St. Wagner”, in What Is Man? and Other Essays:
- In large measure the Metropolitan is a show-case for rich fashionables who are not trained in Wagnerian music and have no reverence for it, but who like to promote art and show their clothes.
1991 September 20, George Grass, “Star Show”, Chicago Reader:
- A few, perhaps, have a further purpose; they desire to assist in that circus, to show themselves in the capacity of fashionables, to enchant the yokelry with their splendor.