Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfɔː(ɹ)mɪdəbəl/, IPA(key): /fɔː(ɹ)ˈmɪdəbəl/
- (UK) IPA(key): /fəˈmɪdəbəl/
Audio (US) (file)
- causing fear, dread, awe or admiration as a result of size, strength, or some other impressive quality; commanding respect; causing wonder or astonishment
- difficult to defeat or overcome
2012 May 9, John Percy, “Birmingham City 2 Blackpool 2 (2-3 on agg): match report”, the Telegraph:
- Holloway has unfinished business in the Premier League after relegation last year and he will make a swift return if he can overcome West Ham a week on Saturday. Sam Allardyce, the West Ham manager, will be acutely aware that when the stakes are high, Blackpool are simply formidable.
causing fear, dread, awe or admiration as a result of size, strength, or some other impressive quality
difficult to defeat or overcome
formidable (masculine and feminine, plural formidables)
- "formidable" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- plural of
formidable m, f (plural formidables)