Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An abandoned child, left by its parent(s), often a baby left at a convent or similar safe place.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling.
- 1776, Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations,
- In foundling hospitals, and among the children brought up by parish charities, the mortality is still greater than among those of the common people.
- 1794, Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason (Part I),
- Moses was a foundling; Jesus Christ was born in a stable; and Mahomet was a mule driver.
abandoned child, left by its parent