freewheel (plural freewheels)
- a device in a transmission that disengages the driveshaft from the driven shaft when the driven shaft rotates faster than the driveshaft.
freewheel (third-person singular simple present freewheels, present participle freewheeling, simple past and past participle freewheeled)
- (of a gear) To continue spinning after disengagement.
- (of a cyclist) To ride a bicycle without pedalling, e.g. downhill.
- (of a motorist) To operate a motor vehicle which is coasting without power, e.g. downhill.
- (by extension) To operate free from constraints.