Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
frontispiece (plural frontispieces)
- (publishing) An illustration that is on the page before the title page of a book, a section of one, or a magazine.
- (archaic, publishing) The title page of a book.
- (architecture) A façade, especially an ornamental one.
- (architecture) A small pediment of which is ornamental, especially on the top of a window or door.
an illustration that is on the page before the title page of a book
title page — see title page
a façade, especially an ornamental one
- "Frontispiece" in Michael Quinion, Ballyhoo, Buckaroo, and Spuds, 2004.