Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
furmint (plural furmints)
- A type of grape grown in Hungary, commonly used in tokays.
1958, Thomas Schreiber; Lynton Hudson, Hungary, page 40:
- ... the furmint (muscatel) of Somlo, full of fire and of the noble aroma drawn from the volcanic earth in which the grapes are grown,
1975, Zoltán Halász, A Short History of Hungary, page 39:
- ... from the wine regions of the Tokaj mountains (where the "froment" grape, the ancestor of the furmint, was introduced by Walloon settlers)
2005, Mary Cech; Jennie Schacht, Tim Patterson, The Wine Lover's Dessert Cookbook, page 20:
- Varietals commonly affected by botrytis include chenin blanc, furmint, muscadelle, muscat, riesling, sauvignon blanc, and semillon.
2009 February 25, Eric Asimov, “Asian Fusion, via the Wine List”, New York Times:
- It was made from the furmint grape, which is better known in Hungary’s lusciously sweet tokays, but this was delicate, floral and just right with a tart chicken curry dish.
- A wine made from this grape.