get away with
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To do something which is prohibited, forbidden or generally not allowed, and not be punished for the action
- Do you think we could get away with taking Dad’s car?
- Not many people have gotten away with stealing that much money.
- Our teacher’s so strict, he'd never let us get away with anything in class.
- (idiomatic) To avoid doing something, or to avoid the consequences of not doing something.
- "He thought he could get away with not doing any work."
to something forbidden without being punished
avoid doing work