Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
glimpse (plural glimpses)
- A brief look, glance, or peek.
- I only got a glimpse of the car, so I can tell you the colour but not the registration number.
- S. Rogers
- Here hid by shrub wood, there by glimpses seen.
- 1907, Robert Chambers, chapter 1/2, The Younger Set:
- Selwyn […] , after having boloed Drina to everybody's exquisite satisfaction, looked around […] to catch a glimpse of a vanishing figure […] and the white curve of a youthful face, half-buried in a muff.
- A sudden flash.
- Light as the lightning glimpse they ran.
- A faint idea; an inkling.
a brief look
- (transitive) To see or view briefly or incompletely.
- I have only begun to glimpse the magnitude of the problem.
- To appear by glimpses.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Drayton to this entry?)