Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Present participle of gnaw.
gnawing (plural gnawings)
- A sensation of being gnawed
1836, American Anti-Slavery Society, The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Part 1 of 4:
- The spirit of slavery raves under tormenting gnawings, and casts about in blind phrenzy for something to ease, or even to mock them.
1893, Marietta Holley, Samantha at the World's Fair:
- "If I made them suffer the pains of exile, I would not let them endure also the gnawings of starvation.
1917, Julian Street, American Adventures:
- But from the time we returned from our first journey, after having spent some months in trying, as some one put it, to "discover America," I felt the gnawings of excited appetite.