- (transitive) To descend; to move from a higher place to a lower one.
- You'll need to go down two floors to get to that office.
- (intransitive) To decrease; to change from a greater value to a lesser one.
- The unemployment rate has gone down significantly in recent months.
- (intransitive) To fall (down), fall to the floor.
- He went down in the second round, after a blow to the chin.
- (computing, engineering) To stop functioning, to go offline.
- Did the server just go down again? We'll have to reboot it.
- (intransitive) To be received or accepted.
- The news didn't go down well with her parents.
- (intransitive) To be recorded or remembered (as).
- Today will go down as a monumental failure.
- 2011 November 11, Rory Houston, “Estonia 0-4 Republic of Ireland”, RTE Sport:
- A stunning performance from the Republic of Ireland all but sealed progress to Euro 2012 as they crushed nine-man Estonia 4-0 in the first leg of the qualifying play-off tie in A Le Coq Arena in Tallinn. The scoreline did not flatter Ireland who's produced a composed, classy and determined showing that will go down as the highlight of the Giovanni Trapattioni era so far.
- (idiomatic) To perform oral sex.
- Some people just don't like to go down.
- (slang) To take place, happen.
- A big heist went down yesterday by the docks.
- (intransitive, of a heavenly body) To disappear below the horizon of a plane; to set.
Usage notes 
As down may be used as a preposition or adverb in its own right, the combination go down may also occur in cases where go is used literally. For example, down the street means "away from the speaker along the street in question" regardless of whether go is present:
- She lives down the street.
- Go down the street to get to her house.
Idioms such as these are properly considered senses of down.
Derived terms 
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.