Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪtɪŋ
grating (plural gratings)
- A barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air.
- A frame of iron bars to hold a fire.
- The loose material that comes from something being grated.
- Add a few gratings of nutmeg to the hot milk.
- An optical system of close equidistant and parallel lines or bars, especially lines ruled on a polished surface, used for producing spectra by diffraction.
- (nautical, in the plural) The strong wooden lattice used to cover a hatch, admitting light and air; also, a movable lattice used for the flooring of boats.
frame to hold a fire
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Present participle of grate.