Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
harl (plural harls)
- a fibre, especially a fibre of hemp or flax, or an individual fibre of a feather
- 1974: She pushed her fingers under the cream lace, into the ginger harl of spun glass. — Guy Davenport, Tatlin!
- A barb, or barbs, of a fine large feather, as of a peacock or ostrich, used in dressing artificial flies.
- (transitive) To surface a building using a slurry of pebbles or stone chips which is then cured using a lime render.
1996, Miles Glendinning, Ranald MacInnes, & Aonghus MacKechnie, A History of Scottish Architecture, ISBN 0748608494, page 361:
- The east side facade is of rubble, studded with small windows and mannered details, while the harled rear (south) wall forms, as completed, a towering, roughly symmetrical grouping.