- (informal) Short form of hepatitis.
Hep is used only in the names of varieties of hepatitis, such as hep A, hep B, hep C, hep D, and hep E.
- High-energy physics.
Alteration of hip
hep (plural heps)
- (obsolete) A hip of a rose; a rosehip.
US underworld slang of Unknown origin, first recorded 1908.
hep (comparative more hep, superlative most hep)
- (dated, US slang) aware, up-to-date
1960, P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Offing, chapter IX:
- I was pleased, as I put him hep on the Wilbert-Phyllis situation and revealed the part he was expected to play in it, to note that he showed no signs of being about to issue the presidential veto.
- (dated, US slang) cool, hip
From Proto-Albanian *skapa, related to hap.
hep f (indefinite plural hepa, definite singular hepi, definite plural hepat)
- furrow, scratch
- ^ A Concise Historical Grammar of the Albanian Language, V.Orel, Koninklijke Brill ,Leiden 2000