Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of or pertaining to the practices and institutions that legitimize and privilege heterosexuality, heterosexual relationships, and traditional gender roles as fundamental and "natural" within society.
- Much of the language used when discussing wedding planning is heteronormative, which can alienate homosexual couples.
- 1997 Summer, John Champagne, ““Stop Reading Films!”: Film Studies, Close Analysis, and Gay Pornography”, Cinema Journal, volume 36, number 4, ISSN 0009-7101, JSTOR 1225614, page 82:
- This suggests both that film studies can be heteronormative even when it is analyzing homosexual representations and that close textual analysis is itself structured by heterosexual presumptions and assumptions.
- 1998 February 28, Ruth Holliday, “Philadelphia: AIDS, Representation, Organization”, in John Hassard, Ruth Holliday editors, Organization-Representation: Work and Organizations in Popular Culture, SAGE, ISBN 9780761953920, OL 8030203M, page 102:
- In the same way, homosexuality and bisexuality will always be seen as problematic in heteronormative organizations.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see the citations page.