Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- In utter disorder or confusion; mixed up.
- I can't find your memo since my desk is all higgledy-piggledy.
- 1911 — H. G. Wells, The Country of the Blind
- The houses of the central village were quite unlike the casual and higgledy-piggledy agglomeration of the mountain villages he knew.
- 1937 — Franklin D. Roosevelt, Fireside Chat, 12 October
- For many years we have all known that the executive and administrative departments of the Government in Washington are a higgledy-piggledy patchwork of duplicate responsibilities and overlapping powers.
- 1930 — Bertrand Russell, The Conquest of Happiness
- The world is a higgledy-piggledy place, with things pleasant and unpleasant occurring in no particular sequence.
- In a confused, disordered, or random way.
- (in a disordered way): willy-nilly