Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
hiss (plural hisses)
- A high-pitched sound made by a snake, cat, escaping steam, etc.
- An expression of disapproval made to sound like the noise of a snake.
sound made by a snake, cat, escaping steam, etc.
animal expression of disapproval
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- To make a hissing sound.
- As I started to poke it, the snake hissed at me.
- 2011 December 14, John Elkington, “John Elkington”, the Guardian:
- It turns out that the driver of the red Ferrari that caused the crash wasn't, as I first guessed, a youngster, but a 60-year-old. Clearly, he had energy to spare, which was more than could be said about a panel I listened to around the same time as the crash. Indeed, someone hissed in my ear during a First Magazine awards ceremony in London's imposing Marlborough House on 7 December: "What we need is more old white men on the stage."
to make a hissing sound