Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
First attested in the late 17th C. Unknown
|alteration of huzzah. This is however questionable. Another plausible etymology is from Turkic war cry урра (urra), which means encircle or surround in Tatar, made its way to Slavic languages as ура (urá) in 12-13 century, and later to the Germanic languages: hurra in German, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian and húrra in Icelandic.|
- Used to express approval, joy or victory.
- Lizzie has broken a world record, and is now an Olympic medallist! – Hooray!
elated expression of approval
hooray (plural hoorays)
- A shout to signify victory.
- An expression of excitement.
a shout to signify victory
an expression of excitement
- To shout an expression of excitement.
to shout an expression of excitement