Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
hostess (plural hostesses)
- A female host.
- The host and hostess greeted their guests at the door.
- 2013 August 10, Lexington, “Keeping the mighty honest”, The Economist, volume 408, number 8848:
- The [Washington] Post's proprietor through those turbulent [Watergate] days, Katharine Graham, held a double place in Washington’s hierarchy: at once regal Georgetown hostess and scrappy newshound, ready to hold the establishment to account.
- A female innkeeper.
- Stewardess: a woman steward on an airplane.
- A bar hostess or bargirl, a paid, female companion offering conversation and in some cases sex.