Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A place notable for a high level of activity or danger; specifically:
2013 November 27, Emily Jane O'Dell, “Deep cover [print version: International Herald Tribune Magazine, 2013, p. 47]”, The New York Times:
- I might never have learned my name or met my birth family if I hadn't ended up in the hospital in Rhode Island in 2007, after traveling to a trifecta of malaria hotspots: Mali, Egypt and Colombia.
- (computing) A part of an application that consumes a significant amount of execution time
- (computing, graphical user interface) Part of a control that responds dynamically as the user moves the pointer over it, as for example in an image map.
- (computing, networking) A location in which WiFi Internet access is available
- (genetics) The region of a gene in which there is higher than normal rate of mutation
- (planetology, geology) The surface manifestation of a plume that rises from deep in the celestial body's mantle
- (location with WiFi Internet access): notspot
a dangerous place of violent political unrest
(geology) the surface manifestation of a plume that rises from deep