Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɜː.diˌɡɜː.di/, /ˌhɜː.diˈɡɜː.di/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈhɝː.diˌɡɝː.di/, /ˌhɝː.diˈɡɝː.di/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
hurdy-gurdy (not comparable)
- (humorous) Sounding like the Swedish language.
hurdy-gurdy (plural hurdy-gurdies)
- (music) A medieval stringed instrument which has a droning sound. One hand turns a handle connected to a wheel which vibrates the strings, while the other hand plays a keyboard to alter the pitch.
- (music) A barrel organ.
- (US, California) A water wheel with radial buckets, driven by the impact of a jet.
barrel organ — see barrel organ