Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Inflation
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
inflation (plural inflations)
- An act, instance of, or state of expansion or increase in size, especially by injection of a gas.
- The inflation of the balloon took five hours.
- (economics) An increase in the general level of prices or in the cost of living.
- (economics) A decline in the value of money.
- (economics) An increase in the quantity of money, leading to a devaluation of existing money.
- Undue expansion or increase, as of academic grades.
- (cosmology) An extremely rapid expansion of the universe, theorised to have occurred very shortly after the big bang.
- core inflation
- grade inflation
- taxonomic inflation
expansion or increase in size
increase in prices
inflation of the universe
- (cosmology) Burgess & Quevedo, "The Great Cosmic Roller-Coaster Ride", Scientific American, November 2007, pg. 57.
Borrowed from Latin inflatio, inflationem.
inflation f (plural inflations)