Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK, US) enPR: jo͞oʹəlrē IPA(key): /ˈdʒuːəlɹi/
- (alternate UK pronunciation) enPR: jo͞oʹələrē IPA(key): /ˈdʒuːələɹi/
- (nonstandard) enPR: jo͞oʹlərē IPA(key): /ˈdʒuːləɹi/ (this pronunciation gives rise to the Cockney rhyming slang tomfoolery)
- (UK, Australia, New Zealand) Collectively, personal ornamentation such as rings, necklaces, brooches and bracelets, made of precious metals and sometimes set with gemstones.
1905, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, chapter 1, The Fate of the Artemis:
- “[…] Captain Markam had been found lying half-insensible, gagged and bound, on the floor of the sitting-room, his hands and feet tightly pinioned, and a woollen comforter wound closely round his mouth and neck ; whilst Mrs. Markham's jewel-case, containing valuable jewellery and the secret plans of Port Arthur, had disappeared. […]”
- She had more jewellery ornamented about her than any three ladies needed.