Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Joke
joke (plural jokes)
- An amusing story.
- Or witty joke our airy senses moves / To pleasant laughter.
- Something said or done for amusement, not in seriousness.
- It was a joke!
- Alexander Pope
- Enclose whole downs in walls, 'tis all a joke.
- (figuratively) The root cause or main issue, especially an unexpected one
- (figuratively) A worthless thing or person.
- Your effort at cleaning your room is a joke.
- The president was a joke.
- Adjectives often applied to "joke": old, bad, inside, poor, silly, funny, lame, hilarious, stupid, offensive.
- See also Wikisaurus:joke
terms derived from joke (noun)
something said or done for amusement
the root issue
worthless thing or person
- (intransitive) To do or say something for amusement rather than seriously.
- I didn’t mean what I said — I was only joking.
- (transitive, dated) To make merry with; to make jokes upon; to rally.
- to joke a comrade
do for amusement
joke f (plural jokes)