Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: knock down
knockdown (plural knockdowns)
- An act of knocking down or the condition of being knocked down.
- An overwhelming blow.
- (slang, dated) Very strong ale or beer.
- (genetics) A genetically modified organism that carries one or more genes in its chromosomes that has been made less active or had its expression reduced.
- (genetics) The use of a reagent such as an oligonucleotide with sequence complementary to an active gene or its mRNA transcript, to interfere with the expression of said gene.
- (nautical) The condition of a sailboat being pushed abruptly to horizontal, with the mast parallel to the water surface.
- (soccer) a short pass played downwards, for example from the head onto someone's feet.
2011 January 29, Chris Bevan, “Aston Villa 3 - 1 Blackburn”, BBC:
- Pires, a three-time Cup winner with Arsenal who scored the Gunners' winner against Southampton in the 2003 final, has been a largely peripheral figure at Villa Park since joining in November - but the 37-year-old rolled back the years with a fine finish from Delfouneso's knockdown.
knockdown (not comparable)