Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Flexible, pliant, bendable.
- He's so limber that he can kiss his knee without bending it.
- The bargeman that doth row with long and limber oar.
flexible — see flexible
- To cause to become limber; to make flexible or pliant.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Richardson to this entry?)
limber (plural limbers)
- (obsolete) A two-wheeled, horse-drawn vehicle used to pull an artillery piece into battle.
- (in the plural) The shafts or thills of a wagon or carriage.
- (military) The detachable fore part of a gun carriage, consisting of two wheels, an axle, and a shaft to which the horses are attached. On top is an ammunition box upon which the cannoneers sit.
- (nautical, in the plural) Gutters or conduits on each side of the keelson to allow water to pass to the pump well.
- Sometimes the plural limbers was used to refer to a single such vehicle.
- (obsolete) To prepare an artillery piece for transportation (i.e., to attach it to its limber.)
prepare an artillery piece for transportation
- Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989.