Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
audio (US) (file)
linesman (plural linesmen)
- (soccer, dated) An assistant referee.
- (tennis, dated) A male line judge.
- (ice hockey) An official whose primary task is to watch the blue line and determine when there has been an offside.
- (American football) An official whose primary task is to determine whether there has been a line of scrimmage violation.
- A person employed to work on electrical lines; a lineman.
- In soccer and tennis the term linesman is considered dated because not all assistant referees and line judges are male.
soccer: previous name of an assistant referee
male line judge
ice hockey: official whose primary task is to watch the blue line
American football: official who determines if there has been a line of scrimmage violation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.