Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: massés
- plural form of
- (plural only, generically) People, especially a large number of people
2012 August 21, Jason Heller, “The Darkness: Hot Cakes (Music Review)”, The Onion AV Club:
- Since first tossing its cartoonish, good-time cock-rock to the masses in the early ’00s, The Darkness has always fallen back on this defense: The band is a joke, but hey, it’s a good joke. With Hot Cakes—the group’s third album, and first since reforming last year—the laughter has died. In its place is the sad wheeze of the last surviving party balloon slowly, listlessly deflating.
- (plural only) The total population.
- The masses will be voting this Tuesday.
- (plural only) The lower classes or all but the elite.
- […] the ignorant masses […]
- (lower classes): unwashed
people, especially a large number
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of mass
- "masses" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- second-person singular present indicative of
- second-person singular present subjunctive of