Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
matron (plural matrons)
- A mature woman; a wife or a widow, especially, one who has borne children; a woman of staid or motherly manners.
- your wives, your daughters, your matrons, and your maids
- grave from her cradle, insomuch that she was a matron before she was a mother
- A housekeeper; especially, a woman who manages the domestic economy of a public institution; a head nurse in a hospital.
- the matron of a school or hospital