Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
meme (plural memes)
- (philosophy) Any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.
- (philosophy) A self-propagating unit of cultural evolution having a resemblance to the gene (the unit of genetics).
- (Internet, slang) A quiz or survey that is copied from one webpage or online journal to another, each participant filling in his or her personal answers.
- 2004, "NoDayButToday", music meme (discussion on Internet newsgroup alt.fan.hanson)
- 2005, "darklily", OT: Livejournal (discussion on Internet newsgroup soc.sexuality.general)
- I do...but my journal is a mess. It's mostly filled with memes and my bitching about a house I am building. My mother read my diary when I was 11 (which had repurcussions[sic]), so I have had trouble figuring out what to write about in my LJ.
- 2006, "ShellyS", Set up LiveJournal community? (discussion on Internet newsgroup rec.arts.sf.composition)
- I have about a dozen blogs on Blogger. One is for fun, kind of personal. One is for blogging about blogging and about politics. Another is for book reviews, and one is for reviewing comic books. One is for me to do memes. I like keeping these things separate and I like playing with templates, so having so many let me play a lot.
- (Internet, slang) An idea, joke, concept, video, animation, etc. that spreads online, often virally.
unit of cultural information
self-propagating unit of cultural evolution
declension of meme
possessive forms of meme