Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
monarchy (plural monarchies)
- A government with a hereditary head of state (whether as a figurehead or as a powerful ruler).
- An absolute monarchy is a monarchy where the monarch is legally the ultimate authority in all temporal matters.
- A constitutional monarchy is a monarchy in which the monarch's power is legally constrained, ranging from where minor concessions have been made to appease certain factions to where the monarch is a figurehead with all real power in the hands of a legislative body.
- (a form of government): democracy
form of government with a hereditary head of state
- genitive singular of monarcha