Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From mope (“pout”)
- Alternative spelling of mopey.
- To print more than one copy of a document using a computer printer rather than printing one original and copying it with a separate machine.
1996 November 11, Noor Amal, “Why copy when you can mopy”, New Straits Times, page 18:
- Mopy is a term HP [Hewlett-Packard] has coined to talk about a new paradigm to address the current printing/coping[sic] trend. Mopying is a term describing the process of creating multiple original prints, or "mopies" on a laser printer.
2001 November 17, Robert Uhlig, “Boom in email puts paper use up by 40pc”, Telegraph:
- […] "mopying" - making a document and copying it many times - had become common.
2003 September 17, Juhi Bhambal, “Printing Solutions”, PCQuest:
- Some offer a function called mopying. Instead of printing one original and then making copies on a copying machine, you get several originals of the document (or high-quality copies).