Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Almost, but not quite; slightly short of.
- He left a nearly full beer on the bar.
- I nearly didn't put this example in.
- 1922, Ben Travers, chapter 1, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- She was like a Beardsley Salome, he had said. And indeed she had the narrow eyes and the high cheekbone of that creature, and as nearly the sinuosity as is compatible with human symmetry.
- 2013 May-June, Kevin Heng, “Why Does Nature Form Exoplanets Easily?”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 3, page 184:
- In the past two years, NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope has located nearly 3,000 exoplanet candidates ranging from sub-Earth-sized minions to gas giants that dwarf our own Jupiter.
- Intimately; closely.
almost, but not quite