neither here nor there
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) Not important; having no significance or influence on the question at hand; not related; not relevant; not germane; not pertinent.
- The fact that pledges willingly submit themselves to hazing is neither here nor there and any organization that engages in hazing will lose its charter.
- 1913, Jack London, John Barleycorn, chapter 28
- I had life troubles and heart troubles which are neither here nor there in this narrative. But, combined with them, were intellectual troubles which are indeed germane.
1967, Barbara Sleigh, Jessamy, edition 1993, Sevenoaks, Kent: Bloomsbury, ISBN 0 340 19547 9, page 33:
- ‘ “It would be most irregular Grandpa!” says Miss Cecily frowning and tapping her foot. “Well, we’re a pretty irregular family so that’s neither here nor there,” says the old man, impish like. [...] ’