Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- plural form of
nibs (plural nibs)
- (slang, UK) An important or self-important person.
1919, Robert Nichols, “The Secret”, The Century, page 734:
- Vera, you are a gleam of brilliant modernity in our dim old cave of antiques — and their nibs, our ancestors." Peter waved disrespectfully to the portrait
1920, Oreola Williams Haskell; Ida Husted Harper, Banner bearers: tales of the suffrage campaigns, page 345:
- Betsey Reed, Her Nibs, was just as witty and quaint as usual, sitting in state in her wheel chair and dominating everything and everybody.
1983 Jun 5, “OFFSTAGE”, Chicago Tribune:
- You may also know that, during intermission, Paul and Linda were summoned to a room behind the royal box for a private chat with her nibs.
2004, Michael Arnold, A game with dice, page 59:
- "Your Nibs," I panted, "I am sent by the machine gunner man to tell you that ... "Please don't call me Your Nibs, and knock before you come in next time,
- (slang, UK, dated, 19th Century) Self.