- (GenAm) IPA(key): /ˈnukjəlɚ/ enPR: no͞oʹkyələr When used for nuclear, this pronunciation is proscribed, although some dictionaries recognize it because of its increasing usage.
- (RP) IPA(key): /ˈnjuːkjələ/ enPR: nyo͞oʹkyələ
From a back-spelling of the mispronunciation of nuclear by metathesis and epenthesis
nucular (not comparable)
- (humorous) Eye dialect spelling of nuclear.
From nucule + -ar
nucular (comparative more nucular, superlative most nucular)
- (botany) Of or relating to a nucule — a section of a compound (usually hard) fruit.
- ^ Arnold Zwicky (June 29, 2004), "The thin line between error and mere variation", URL accessed on 2006-10-23.
- ^ (Can we date this quote?) Oxford English Dictionary, nucule adj. (1):