Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Alternative spelling of number two.
- Short form of number 2 pencil
1996, Bill Henderson (ed.), Minutes of the the Lead Pencil Club: pulling the plug on the electronic revolution, Pushcart, page 15:
- The standard number 2 is a mixture of about two-thirds graphite and one-third clay. If you like darker, broader lines, you can use a number 1, which includes less clay. For lighter, finer lines, try a number 3 or A, which include more clay.
2000, Julie M. Gillentine, Jonathan Sharp, Alan Oken, Constance Stellas, The Hidden Power of Everyday Things: A Complete Personology Guide to Your Lifestyle for Each Day of the Year, Simon and Schuster, page 560:
- You may prefer to write in pencil and a supply of good number 2s will delight you.
2002, Joyce Schenk, I've Become My Mother: And Other Observations, iUniverse, page 38:
- My first pencils, and the ones I still use most, were the familiar orange-yellow number 2s.