Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also OOPS
A presumably 'natural' exclamation, only attested since 1933, possibly altered to (or from) whoops (attested since 1933)
- enPR: o͞ops, IPA: /uːps/, /ʊps/, X-SAMPA: /u:ps/
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -uːps
- Rhymes: -ʊps
- Acknowledging a minor mistake.
- Oops! I left the lid off the ketchup.
- Used sarcastically to acknowledge a major mistake.
- I just stood on dog poo! Oops!
- I just ran over a squirrel. Oops!
- Oops, I didn't see you there.
acknowledging a minor mistake
used sarcastically to acknowledge a major mistake
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked