Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (abbreviation, grammar): opt.
- Rhymes: -eɪtɪv
optative (not comparable)
- expressing a wish or a choice.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Fuller to this entry?)
- (grammar) related or pertaining to the optative mood.
optative (plural optatives)
- (grammar) a mood of verbs found in some languages (e.g. Old Prussian, Ancient Greek), used to express a wish. English has no inflexional optative mood, but it has modal verbs like "might" and "may" that express possibility.
- (grammar) a verb or expression in the optative mood.
- feminine of optatif