Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Elaborately ornamented, often to excess.
1907, Robert Chambers, chapter 5, The Younger Set:
- The house of Ruthven was a small but ultra-modern limestone affair, between Madison and Fifth ; … As a matter of fact its narrow ornate façade presented not a single quiet space that the eyes might rest on after a tiring attempt to follow and codify the arabesques, foliations, and intricate vermiculations of what some disrespectfully dubbed as “near-aissance.”
- Flashy, flowery or showy
- Finely finished, as a style of composition.
- a graceful and ornate rhetoric
elaborately ornamented, often to excess
- ornate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- ornate in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911