Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (philosophy) The collective of things that are distinct from the observer.
- (philosophy) The property of being distinct.
2008, John Veitch, Hamilton:
- Distance means degree of outness of one thing from another; but it presupposes outness as a fact and a conception.
Popularised by Lynne Pearlman in her 1989 thesis Theorizing Lesbian Oppression and the Politics of Outness in the Case of Waterman v. National Life Assurance
- The extent to which someone, particularly a lesbian, is open about her sexuality.
2008, Debra A. Hope, Contemporary Perspectives on Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Identities:
- Couples who are discrepant on outness may have conflict around such issues as where to live (e.g. in an obvious gay neighbourhood), whether to bring a partner to work-related social events, and how to introduce their partner to family members.