- (transitive) To rule over; to govern or determine by superior authority.
- (transitive) # To rule or determine in a contrary way; to decide against; to abrogate or alter.
- His passion and animosity overruled his conscience.
- (transitive) To nullify a previous ruling by a higher power.
- The line judge signalled the ball was in, but this was overruled by the umpire.
- (transitive, law) To dismiss or throw out (a protest or objection) at a court.
1. to rule against or disallow the arguments of (a person): The senator was overruled by the committee chairman. 2. to rule or decide against (a plea, argument, etc.); reject: to overrule an objection. 3. to prevail over so as to change the purpose or action: a delay that overruled our plans. 4. to exercise control or influence over: belief in a beneficent deity that overrules the universe.