Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)li
- (uncountable, uncommon, dated) A pale greyish white colour, tinted with blue.
1830, John Burnet, A practical treatise on painting, page 3:
- In nature we as often find the light cool as warm; also in the pictures of many of the Flemish and Dutch schools, where, as Sir Joshua himself mentions, " the silver gray or pearly is predominant, and are valued by the connoisseurs in proportion as they possess this excellence of a silver tint."
1884, The popular educator, page 49:
- Pearly is that silky and often coloured lustre which renders of such value
1899, St. Louis medical and surgical journal, page 126:
- When (the scales are) more developed and thickened, the color (pearly) is deepened, shading
- (countable, UK, especially in plural) tooth
- Of a pale greyish white colour, tinted with blue.
- pearly nautilus
- pearly everlasting
- Pearly Gates
- pearly king
- pearly penile papules
- pearly queen
- pearly whites